Friday 8 July 2011

Dark Chocolate Sorbet

After a magnificently hot Easter the British summer seems to have reverted back to type. Despite the recent thunderstorms and rain I have got my frozen dessert mojo back, and dusted off the faithful ice cream machine.


The Ewing loves chocolate, and I love the Ewing, so I thought it would be nice to make something to satisfy those cocoa cravings. I got my inspiration for this recipe from a chocolate sorbet that I had eaten at Scoop in Soho a little while back.  I was impressed with the richness and the velvety smooth texture they had achieved without any eggs or cream, and more impressed that it's really simple to make at home.  The lack of dairy products in this means you can really taste the bitter, clean flavour of the cocoa, using decent dark chocolate makes a big difference.

The main problem with making sorbets are ice crystals or a grainy texture.  To prevent crystals don't be tempted to cut out any sugar, as it stops the mixture freezing too hard. I also used a spoonful of liquid glucose and some Amaretto (you could also try a splash of rum, brandy or orange liqueur) to help keep the texture smooth. Remember though, too much alcohol and the sorbet may not set at all. Sieving the cocoa should help prevent graininess, but if the mixture seems gritty before you churn it then sieve through a fine mesh strainer.




Dark Chocolate Sorbet

1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Cups Water
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder sieved
1 Tbsp Liquid Glucose (optional)
100g 70% Dark Chocolate chopped into small pieces
 Pinch Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Amaretto (optional)

Put the water into a large pan and bring to the boil. Add the sugar and dissolve.
Take the pan off the heat and stir in the chocolate, cocoa, salt and liquid glucose. Whisk until chocolate has completely melted.
Pour mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for several hours.
If mixture has separated whisk again and then pour into your ice cream machine.
Churn until glossy (about 20 minutes) then pour into a container and place back in freezer to harden. Bring it out of the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.


This was lovely; smooth, rich and not too sweet.  The Ewing liked it just as it was but I also tried serving it with cherries in kirsch, left over from Christmas, poured over the top.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like chocolate heaven. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your sorbet up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete